Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I LOVE projects!!!

I LOVE a good project around the house!!! Over Christmas Break I had HAD IT with the backpack situation at our house! I knew it was too much to ask to have the kids actually take their backpacks upstairs to their rooms every night (silly mom!), so I tried having them put them in the closet under the stairs. That worked when they actually put them there, but created another problem. You see, that's also the closet where the jackets are and where all the media equipment for the TV is - which meant we were stepping on and over backpacks to get a jacket or put on a movie - NOT WORKING!!! So, I bought a board.........had my dad router it (it has to look pretty!)..........painted it to match the trim.........screwed it to studs in the wall (do you know how heavy some of those backpacks are?)...........pur on hooks...........and put their names on it (thanks to my sis-in-law). This was the finished product! AND, as soon as the kids came home, they put their backpacks there and only took in their homework!!! Oh, PLEASE keep that up!!! Even if they don't, now I have a place to say "Go put your backpack away!". Oh, and I hung it in the garage so I don't have to have the clutter inside! Whew!.........THAT WAS FUN!!!!!!!!

8 comments:

Katie said...

Love it! We were given one for Christmas this year. I love it too!

Melinda said...

Great idea to put it in the garage. It looks great.

Kelli said...

I wish we were neighbors. Then we could BOTH do projects together. I think it looks great!

Suzanne Maughan said...

This looks amazing! I did something similiar with my kids church bags but not this adorable. I did put my kids names in vinyl in the bathroom where they hang their towels up.
If you ever need any vinyl cut, I have a Cricut and would be happy to share! I absolutely love using vinyl!

amy said...

You're a genius! Loved seeing you and your family the other day.

missliss5/Melissa said...

You are absolutely brilliant. PLus it's in the garage? Sheer genius! You rock!

Sheryl said...

I will definitely be copying this is a couple of years--I even want a place for church bags, diapers bags, and Blake's little backpack now. Great idea and it looks fantastic!

Corinne Baird said...

THAT is awesome! I need to do that but I'd have to hang it inside and I'm not sure I've got a wall big enough! Maybe for the youngest 5? Thanks for posting it!