Sunday, September 27, 2009

Garden

So, we're trying out Square Foot Gardening!!! We've heard great things about it and we've read his book (the new edition) throughout the summer, and we've been SO excited to start! So, yesterday was the day. We used leftover paint from the house to protect the wood and then put the boxes together. We had to put a special metal stuff on the bottom to keep the gophers out ( they even eat through chicken wire!). Then, we mixed up Mel's special Mix and planted the plants! I sure hope it grows. It looks really pretty right now.
Erin is helping with the garden for one of her 10 hour projects for Personal Progress in Young Women's. She helped us plan out what to plant and helped with everything - wonderful!!! We planted Peas, Broccoli, Leaf Lettuce, Butter Leaf Lettuce, radishes, green onions, beets, carrots, swiss chard, and Marigolds. Wish us luck!!!

11 comments:

Melinda said...

Wow, it looks great. You've inspired us to get going on it again.

Katie said...

Those really turned out nice! We should do one too...

Amy said...

Wow, Erin even looks older! That's a cute picture of her. You guys are so good at trying out all sorts of things. Yea for you!

Susan said...

Just popping in to say hello...way to go with the garden. It looks great-it just has to grow something!

Corinne Baird said...

I wish we were neighbors. I need to learn a lot from you.

The Maxwell Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Maxwell Family said...

I'm impressed! It's our goal to plant a garden this year. I can't believe your kids seem so grown up. I guess it really has been a long time since we were in the same ward!

Eric and Rozanne said...

Is this really the time of year to plant in Arizona? Seems so different to me than planting in the spring. Best of luck and love the boxes.

Sandi said...

Hasn't anyone told you that summer is over?? :-) We dropped to 45 degrees today... My gardening is almost over for the year.

I've been wanting to learn more about square foot gardening. What book did you use?

Drewmeister said...

I did a double-take when I first read this. Who plants a garden in September? I forgot you can do that in Arizona. Your garden looks awesome!

Britty said...

you go Erin! that was one of my projects too!