Sunday, July 13, 2008

Artichokes



I had to share with you the story of the artichoke... When I was about 8 years old, our home teacher and his wife brought me an artichoke from their garden as a thank-you for some stickers I gave them (I think). I had never seen one before, and wasn't sure what to do. I tried it and wasn't too sure, so that was the end of that. Later, somehow, I decided I loved them, and when we grew them in our garden, I invited Lafe over for a date with artichokes and hollandaise sauce - YUM! We've both LOVED them ever since and have gotten away with having them as a special treat just for the two of us because the kids were afraid of them. Then, Laura came along and decided to try it - and loved it - darn! So, then the other kids decided to try it - and loved it - DARN! So, now instead of buying 2, I have to buy 8 and Lafe had to give me a pot big enough to cook them! Since they were on sale at Sprouts this week, we had the special treat of artichokes for dinner tonight. All of us but Kelcie (it's the age, I think) loves them - even Talin loved his first experience. In case you didn't think our family was weird yet, here's something to hold against us - we love artichokes!!! (and spinach, and asparagus, and...)

6 comments:

Melinda said...

Next time there's a sale let me know. We love artichokes too (including the kids-- Darn!) We dip them in mayo. Mmmmm.

missliss5/Melissa said...

I love artichokes, too, but have no clue how to cook them. Help!

Cookie Mama said...

Ah artichokes, I've tried and tried to like those pesky green things but I've just never been able to stand them. It was my sister and my mom's favorite treat when I was a kid and I was so jealous of my artichoke eating sister!

I think it's so cute that almost your whole family likes them. I will keep my fingers crossed that someday Kelcie will LOVE them too!

April said...

I remember going to see you and Lafe in your first apartment at BYU and you were cooking artichokes!! Funny thing, we have been roommates and neighbors so often, but I don't know how to cook an artichoke? Would you mind posting directions??

Drewmeister said...

I love artichokes too! I discovered them about 3 or 4 years ago. I don't know how to cook them though. I usually just order them at restaurants.

Kelli said...

i have one of these growing in my garden right now. I have no idea what to do with it!